It is generally accepted in the industry that, to be effective, workers must have the following values and attitudes as a basis to their work practice:
- non-judgmental attitude (not judging someone based on their appearance or behaviour)
- acceptance (accepting someone for who they are and not trying to change them into what you think they should be)
- client self-determination (helping clients to make their own decisions based on who they are and their values, beliefs and views on life)
- confidentiality (keeping private what someone tells you)
- individuation of services (giving a client an individual service designed to meet their individual needs and goals).