Apply first aid
Needle stick injuries
Needle stick injuries refer to injuries caused by anything sharp, such as blades, needles, scalpels, and so forth. They pose a threat of cross infection. If sharp items are routinely used in the workplace, they should be disposed of in a special biohazard sharps container.
- Wash well under running water.
- Notify your supervisor.
- Determine whether the needle was sterile or non-sterile.
- Cover the wound with a sterile dressing.
- Fill out an accident/incident form.
- Contact the Needlestick Injury Hotline on 1800 804 823.