Bathing/Showering Policy and Procedure
Residents/clients are encouraged to remain as independent as possible. If assistance is required, it is provided discretely to maintain the resident's/client's privacy and dignity.
- Refer to care plan.
- Discuss procedure with resident/client. Ensure privacy and dignity is maintained at all times.
- Assemble appropriate equipment according to care plan.
- Check water temperature.
- Provide care as outlined in care plan.
- Ensure resident/client is comfortable during procedure.
- Check for signs of impaired skin integrity. Note any signs of changes in skin integrity, behaviour or preferences.
- Encourage and/or assist resident/client to wash.
- If showering, do not use soap or spray water on the resident's/client's face unless the resident/client wishes to do so.
- If sponging in bed, ensure resident/client remains warm. Cover parts of the body not being washed at that moment.
- Ensure resident/client dries thoroughly (to avoid any skin problems). Pay special attention to skin folds, for example groin, under breasts, between toes.
- Attend nails and oral hygiene as per care plan.
- On completion of procedure ensure glasses, hearing aids and mobility aids are applied as per care plan.
- Report any changes to a registered nurse or senior supervisor and document in progress notes.